To book your free consultation or to request a counselling session, click here.
Dawn Slykhuis brings 18+ years experience as a social worker specializing in mental health and substance use, including working as an instructor at the post secondary level and 10+ years of clinical supervision to a range of helping professionals.
Dawn’s professional designation as a registered social worker and training at the Masters level means sessions may be eligible for coverage through traditional extended health plans; but her grounding in the eight limbs of yoga is what makes her approach to counselling unique. Counselling sessions may also be covered under FNHA, CVAP or AFU funding as Dawn is a registered provider with these funding bodies.
In addition to talk therapy, Dawn may integrate pranayama (breathwork) or somatic movement based therapy to recognize and connect with our body’s natural cues and learn to identify and manage our natural to return to balance. And because sometimes life’s problems look a bit different while in downward dog or a headstand.
If yoga isn’t your jam, that’s ok too. Dawn may incorporate other types of movement including walking in nature or gentle stretching.
Dawn’s particular specializations include:
- child and youth mental health including depression, anxiety, ADHD, and substance use
- adult mental health including depression, anxiety, ADHD, and substance use
- integration counselling following a spiritual awakening, including debriefing following plant medicine ceremonies
- consultation on community resources and referrals to other helping professionals
- clinical supervision for registered social workers focusing on practical interventions while cultivating self compassion
For information on counselling rates, click here.
For counselling frequently asked questions, click here.